Sunday, February 29, 2004

Study Study Study

Feb 29, 2004 7:12am (Nagoya)
Feb 28, 2004 5:12pm (Ottawa)

I spent yesterday with Michelle and her new room-mate Leisha.
We deided to explore Nagoya by subway. It cost 740 yen for an all-day pass, and we definately got our money's worth.
Our first stop was at a Shinto shrine where they have an open air market on the 28th of every month. It was interesting to see the kinds of things they sell like that. Old kimonos, ancient coins, swords from every era, and lots of used cameras. There was also a lot of beautiful craftwork, mostly pottery.
This was the first place we came across more than 1 or 2 caucasian people in one area. I guess westerners are suckers for junk.
The shrine itself was great, though there was a constant line so I only got to take a few pictures, and I couldn't ring the prayer bell.
I actually saw a my first Japanese goth at the market. A very attractive Japanese womabn around 20 wearing a black Led Zepplin t-shirt with a black leather skirt, and of course black fishne-stockings. So there you have it...an asian goth, cute too.
We did notice something interesting at the shrine, Michelle was the only one wearing bright colours. Everyone was in black or grey or beige, or at most a dark blue. An old man came up to Michelle and said something about her bright red jacket, unfortunately we couldn't understand a word of it. He spoke far too quickly for me, and I doubt I would have been much help even if he slowed down.
Our next stop was at a mall in downtown Nagoya. The mall was 12 floors, and escalators between the floors were almost as busy as our subway was.
We looked at formal Japanese clothing on the 10th floor. The saleswomen were all dressed in kimonos, so it was very interesting to see.
The 11th floor was home to the book store. It actually took up the entire floor, and it had books in every language. I ended up leaving with a bunhc of Kanji flash cards and a book called "Kana can be easy."
I recognized it right away as the same book they used in my Japanese class a few years ago to teach hiragana. I hope to learn katakana this time.
Learning more of the Japanese language is becoming more important to me every day here. I know that the Japanese people are no different than Canadian people, but I have this incessant urge to speak with them.
I saw boks on the official Japanese language test at the store. I think I'll buy one in a few months after I've learned a bit more. Afterall, half of the anime characters I've watched have been Ronin (students trying to qualify for university), I might as well join those ranks myself.
How about that Bryan? I really am anime personified!
I have a room mate now, though I haven't actually met him. He moved in while I was out at the shrine, was out when I returned, and didn't come back until I was asleep. He's asleep in the other room at the moment. Hopefully he'll wake up soon so I can meet him before I go out with Michelle and Leisha again today.
This time we're headed for Nagoya castle, and an Internet Cafe. We tried to visit Nagoya Castle yesterday, but they were closing just as we arrived.

Watashi wa nihongo o benkyo shimasu.

Market pics:
Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3


Shrine pics:
Picture 1

Picture 2


My books:
Picture 1