Thursday, February 10, 2005

My Tree

Feb 10, 2005 3:24 PM (Makabe)
Feb 10, 2005 1:24 (Ottawa)

Jen visited me again this past weekend, and we went on another walking tour of Shimodate.

This time I showed her a big arcade, and an amazing shrine at the what I refer to as "my tree". I am glad I got to show her that, I found it back on March 22nd (I know because I wrote about it).

The tree is massive and completely overshadows a small shrine. The shrine itself is incredibly old, clearly having been built before the tree grew. The tree is actually molded around it. Inside the doors to the shrine there is no floor, instead a small stream is running around a water-worn old statue of Buddha.

Seeing it the first time really made me think about how old Japan is compared to Canada.

The arcade was also interesting, Jen and I used one of the photo-booths that are so popular here to get some cool pics. They came out as stickers, so I am putting them all in my paper-journal.

I look pretty bad in them, so I will get another set later after my haircut so others can see us.

I wish I had more pictures of my students to include in my diary. Maybe I can get some of my favorite class tomorrow.

Aside from Jen and Ivy I really will miss my students most (you don't count Lisa, you are coming back to Ottawa soon too).

Actually Lisa's visit was great last weekend. We got to hang out for a few days and watch TV shows she downloaded on her laptop. It was not a terribly Japanese weekend, but it was fun to hang out together again. It is depressing that we will not meet again for at least 5 months.

Japanese Pet-Peeve: They don't sell any of the over-the-counter medicine that is common in Canada. I had to send home for Sudafed.

Oh Canada: I miss Renuka, maybe I can get her to come with my mother to pick me up.