Friday, February 04, 2005

Stop the World

Feb 4, 2005 3:36 PM (Shimodate)
Feb 4, 2005 1:36 AM (Ottawa)

*SCREAM*

Stop the world, I want to get off.

Things are happening so quickly now that I can hardly stop to notice it all.

Just a few days ago I went to Tokyo with Jen. I finally got to see Tokyo Tower, get my souvenir, and take Jen on an Anime-Otaku tour of Akihabara. It would take pages to talk about it all.

Now I am under pressure from friends, family, and Peppy to let them know my final plans. The problem is that I don't know yet. There is a job I may get in China, but I am waiting to hear back.

Today I will book my return flight home incase I don't get that position. I also have to arrange to pay my final gas, water, phone and electricity bills.

Lisa is coming to visit today for a long weekend, at least that should relax me a bit.

(Continued 9:45 PM)

Yesterday the mothers of my Thursday classes all pitched in to get me a bouquet of flowers. I am going to press a few petals into my paper journal as a souvenir.

Today the mother of one of my favorite students wrote me a thankyou note. It is not very well written, but it is obvious she tried very hard with her limited English ability. I kinda like being called "Mr. James Teacher" too.

The party on Wednesday was great. The English speaking teachers and the Japanese teachers all had fun. The CD was too quiet for us to do the Time Warp to, it was going to be embarrassing. After a few tries to get it working I was going to give up. Then suddenly Yvette burst into song. She sang Time Warp at the top of her voice, and made quite a production of it. She walked on chairs, crawled on the floor, and shouted into people's faces.

It was perfect. The rest of us danced the standard pattern at the chorus, and the Japanese Teachers joined in on the second verse. It was almost like watching a live production of Rocky Horror Picture Show with a Japanese cast.

Yvette is Australian, and this is not her first standout performance at a party. She is always the wildest on in any group. I have never met anyone as outgoing and daring. She's insane, and she rocks.

Japanese Pet-Peeve: Book stores say "Book" on them in English, but contain no English books.

Oh Canada: Leggo my Eggo!