Thursday, February 24, 2005

Home? Coming

February 24, 2004 11:15 AM (Ottawa)
February 25, 2004 1:15 AM (Japan)

It is so odd being "home". It all looks unnatural to me. The second I got off the flight in Vancouver I started feeling out of place.

There are too many white people, everyone looks familiar. I can understand all the conversations around me, it is almost overwhelming. Information overload is the only thing I can call it. I was really happy that there were so many asian people at the Vancouver airport, it was very reassuring.

TV is very confusing, there are far too many channels. Instead of gameshows and talkshows it is all dramas and sitcoms. I am watching V.I.P now, not because I like it, but because it was on in Japanese during the day back in Shimodate.

Bathtubs here are another matter, they are useless! I am used to Japanese bathtubs, which are deep enough that I could sit down cross-legged and still have water up to my shoulders. The one in my hotel room is much longer than a Japanese tub, you can even lay down in it. It is so shallow though that it feels ridiculous.

About the only thing I have liked so far in Ottawa is the chocolate bar selection available. Yay for Mars Bars, and Reese Peanut Butter Cups!