Sunday, April 04, 2004

Journey Ahead

April 4, 2004 8:49am (Shimodate)
April 3, 2004 6:49pm (Ottawa)

I spoke with my father on the phone yesterday, and something he said got me to thinking. He told me that the job he's starting on Tuesday is part of a bigger plan he has for himself a few years down the road.

The reason this got me thinking is that I've been concerned recently with time passing me by. I'm 25 years old, and that doesn't seem too old. Until I realize that I left high school about 7 years ago. 7 years is a long time.

Then I think I'll be at least 26 when I return to Ottawa, older if I manage to stay longer.

Starting at 26 I will be 30 when I get my University degree, and 32 before I have a Bachelor of Education. That's assuming everything is consecutive.

32, now that is starting to sound a little older than I look forward to being. 32, and my life just beginning...no family, no children, probably no best-selling book on the shelves yet.

My father is exactly twice my age. That means I was born when he was my age (incase you can't do the math). So I feel a bit like I'm behind schedule in life.

Then again, I'm in Japan. I'm having an adventure that most Canadians will never have. So maybe I'm just going to follow a different schedule in life than I expected.

Besides, at 50 my father is planning a career move to take place a few years in the future. If he can do that, then maybe 32 won't feel as old as I think.

Afterall 32 seems pretty young overall...not even middle-aged. It only seemed old for a start. Who knows though, maybe it's not the start. Maybe the start was Feb 25, 2004 when I boarded my flight for Japan. Maybe it was October 2, 1978....

In any case I called this site "Live the Journey", and that's what I'll do. The destinations can take care of themselves.