Monday, March 22, 2004

A Mind in Ottawa

March 22, 2004 2:16am (Shimodate)
March 21, 2004 12:16pm (Ottawa)

Where to start...

Sunday was my first day off since arriving in Shimodate, and I took it as an opportunity to explore my new "home".

I spent about 5 hours walking all over the city, seeing new places, meeting new people, and visiting some amazing shrines.

I had revelations galore regarding myself, my life, spirituality, and existence. It was almost a great day. I have about 40 pictures that say it was.

When I got back to the hotel all I could think about was what I would write about it all in this journal. Unfortunately revelations can be tiring, so I decided to take a nap first.

I woke 2 hours later feeling uneasy for no reason I could pinpoint, perhaps a disturbing dream that I can't remember.

I sat down to write about my day, and found the pen would not move for me.

I don't know what changed, but I had no desire to write whatsoever. I wanted to talk about it all instead. To sit at the computer I left in Canada and type out the events of the day to Renuka or Lisa. To tell them all I learned and thought. To call Bryan and discuss the temples. TO discuss the anime hobby store I found with him and Chris. They had Love Hina figurines Bryan!

Compared to that this process of solitary expression seems dead.

Now I should have gone to bed hours ago. I did actually, but could not sleep as my imagination kept having those conversations with my distant friends.

Japan is proving to be a great adventure, just as I'd hoped. However, some things I didn't expect are becoming obvious as well.

This will be a very lonely adventure. My friends have their other friends to think about and talk to. I have only myself and this diary in a country where almost nobody can understand my words. Much less my thoughts and feelings.

It's Monday here now, but Sunday in Ottawa. In my mind I picture myself asleep in my apartment in Downtown Ottawa after a long night at work. CFL lost bloc sync and Tory couldn't get NOC to accept the ticket. We had calls in queue all night. I sleep knowing that I'll wake up at 8:00pm, and head to Barrymores for 9:00. Hopefully Lisa, Tanya, and Sam will be there this week.

After a night of laughter and dancing I'll return home, and Renuka will be online. We'll talk for hours about anything, and I'll call her a wus when she gets too tired and has to go to bed. Then I'll watch some anime, and dream of going to Japan.

I'm living that dream now, but I can't help dreaming of those Sundays in Ottawa. Always my favorite day of the week.

Japan is great, I'm glad I took the leap and decided to come here. I just wish some of you had come with me.

There, maybe now I can sleep.

Trees

Small shrine

Small shrine2

No idea

My First Sakura

Tree shrine

Tree shrine2

Odd van

Pretty

Big shrine

Big shrine2

Big shrine3

Big shrine4

Big shrine5

Big shrine6

Big shrine7

Big shrine8

Big shrine9

Streetside shrine

Streetside shrine2

Streetside shrine3

Streetside shrine4

Streetside shrine5

Shrine in construction site

Shrine in construction site2