Saturday, April 03, 2004

Calling Home

April 3, 2004 12:19am (Shimodate)
April 2, 2004 10:19pm (Ottawa)

I called Renuka during her birthday party today, just as I'd planned a few days ago with Lisa. I think she appreciated it. I certainly enjoyed talking to her, even if we could only talk for 5 mins.

My previous talk with Lisa on the phone was around 20 mins. Probably the best phone chat we've ever had. Our phone conversations in the past have always been very to the point. This time we actually chatted. I mention this primarily because Lisa has not been on AIM any of the times I've visited Internet cafes. So this was our first conversation since I arrived here.

It's interesting talking to peole back home, it almost feels like I'm still there. Now I just wish I could remember Bryan's phone number. He hasn't been on AIM either.

For those of you that don't know I am now in my final apartment. I moved in a couple days ago. It's a very quiet neighbourhood, and my apartment is actually very big. Most teachers here get a single apt, but my predeessor was a family man so the apartment used to house his wife and 2 young children as well. It's actually bigger than my place in Ottawa, and has a spare room.

I'm told my utility bills will be horrible, I hope that's an exageration. Somehow I doubt it.

Hopefully I'll get to the Internet cafe tommorow to get some e-mail done. It's been about 2 week.s Unfortunately it's expensive, a $20 (American) train ride + $10 (American) for the Internet. The commute and actual Internet time combined represent a 6-7 hour time investment. So I didn't fit it in last week.

I'm told my Aunt Vicki, Uncle Brad, and my sister Amy now all read this journal. I guess the pressure is on. Kidding ;)

Scenes from around Shimodate:

Graphiti

Neat Gateway

Sculpted trees

River

Another temple

Temple Photo

Shrine Photo

Japanese graveyard


Pottery Museum
Pottery Mould

Mini-Shrine in Pottery workshop

Japanese Artwork

Japanese Artwork

Japanese Artwork

Japanese Artwork

Old Japanese Kitchen

Old Japanese Bathing Room