Friday, March 19, 2004

Teaching

March 19, 2004 10:32pm (Shimodate)
March 19, 2004 8:47am (Ottawa)

I have just returned to my hotel after my second day as a teacher here in Japan.

I taught 4 classes, the students ranged from 4 to 8. 4 classes in one day is a little above average for us here, but it wasn't nearly as tiring as I expected.

The youngest class was incredibly hyper, getting them to follow all my directions was impossible. We played some games though, and we sang songs. They left even more hyper than they arrived, and hopefully more knowledgeable as well.

The second class was 4 boys. They loved playing the bowling game, and they were excited about running over to the wall to slap a picture if I said "red" or "monkey".

The third class was just two little girls, very cute. They both say pink is their favorite colour. One can only hope they outgrow that ;) They were the same age as the boys, and they liked bowling just as much. They were better at it than the boys were too.

Quizzing them on colours and shapes was fun, because they loved to laugh if they got something wrong, and they were very proud of anything they got right.

The fourth class was the oldest, and the biggest. 9 little energy balls. I didn't sing and dance with them, but we played a lot of games. Basketball, ABC Race, Face drawing, etc. They are very competitive, and love sports.

I started the day a little tired, and ended it with so much energy that my face still feels flushed 3 hours after my last class. How great is that?

I spent 4 hours today playing with children, teaching them, and learning from them. They were simply amazing.

The whole experience was intense, and intensely gratifying. I think I was right about teaching, it really may be what I am meant to do. Now I just hope I'm also right about my writing.