Monday, March 29, 2004

Daichi

March 29, 2004 11:57am (Shimodate)
March 28, 2004 9:57 (Ottawa)

While wandering the mall in Shimodate I met someone pretty interesting. Don't get too excited, it wasn't a girl.

A guy at the book store looked at me like he'd seen a ghost. After I left the bookstore I was playing a game at the arcade and he came up behind me and started talking to me. In near fluent English no less!

It turns out his name is Daichi, and he's very friendly. He hangs out with a group of English teachers here in Shimodate....imagine that, there are others in this tiny town. He says they don't really teach him English, but he's been friends with them for a year, so he's learning just from being around them.

One year...and his English level is quite impressive. He invited me t hang out with him and his friends, I don't know if I actually will, but I still think it was a valuable encounter. If Daichi can learn English that well in 1 year, maybe I can learn Japanese that well in the time I have here.