Thursday, July 22, 2004

Busy Busy

3:58 pm July 22, 2004 (Shimodate)
2:58 am July 22, 2004 (Ottawa)

I can't believe how busy I have been lately!!!

There was a big party at a bar in Mito on July 3rd to celebrate both Canada Day, and the American Independence Day. It was great, everyone celebrating together. The band was live, and Australian, which seemed appropriate to me. If you are celebrating the birth of two nations, why shouldn't a third sing along?

It was interesting when we had a contest with our anthems, everyone singing at once. The Canadian anthem drowned out the American one I am proud to say.

It was also a goodbye party for Yasen, one of our teachers that is returning home to Australia. He took over the stage for about half an hour, and sang very badly, but with all of us supporting him with cheers.

I spent most of the night with Jennifer and Ivy, but I danced for a little while.

Oh, and some Japanese woman who looked like she was in her mid-thirties told me I look like Hugh Grant, and asked to take my picture. Jen and Ivy mocked me for the rest of the night.

The next weekend we had a big party with a lot of Japanese people, they wanted to meet Gaijin, so we all went out together. It was a lot of fun. One of the Japanese people told me about a great shrine, so I took Jen and Ivy there a couple days later.

It was amazing!! Shrine maidens, priests, good luck charms, and for the first time in Japan I found a place that sold post-cards. So everyone should e-mail me with their mailing address!!

This last weekend Jen came out to Shimodate to learn Go. It was fun teaching her how, and playing together.

There is something bothering me right now, but I can't bring myself to write about it even here. Oh well, I'll get over it.