Saturday, June 10, 2006

My First SCA Event

June 10, 2006 11:20 pm (Ottawa)

I've been looking into the SCA for a few weeks to decide if I'm interested in joining, and which parts I might want to take part in. Today I attended my first actual costumed event.

The weather was horrible. Naturally attendance suffered as a result, but I still had a lot of fun.

Highlights:

- I saw an old gamer I used to know from Pembroke. He's still insane.

- I tried new food, which is unusual for me because I'm usually very hesitant about new things. Incidentally quail Eggs taste exactly the same as chicken eggs, they're just smaller and harder to get out of the shell.

- I go to shoot a bow, which I haven't done since junior high. I still suck at it.

- I got to try throwing knives, and throwing hatchets. I managed to get a shocked and confused look out of the thrown weapons marshall's face as I managed to throw a knife so hard the HANDLE stuck into the target.

I thought that was impressive, he seemed to think it was ludicrous...especially since even after a dozen tries I never managed to get one to stick blade first.

I took large gouges out of the target with the handle several more times before he asked me to stand back another 10 feet. I gave up at that point because it became ridiculous.