Monday, August 11, 2003

China Bound?

I've got to say, I'm starting to feel a little nervous about the whole China thing. I'm still absolutely certain I wish to go, but I'm questioning my readiness to actually go. It struck me on August 4th I believe, that was when I really realized how close my planned departure time is.

AUGUST...September...OCTOBER. I still don't know when I'm leaving, could be the beginning or end of October. I don't know what I'm doing with most of my stuff while I'm gone. I don't know if I'm going alone, or with a friend. So much is still up in the air, and that date is getting closer.

I still have so much to do, and so much to decide.

- I have to visit the passport office to turn in all the forms, and finally get my passport.
I have to apply to a school, and actually get a job.
I have to give notice on my apartment.
I have to quit my job.
I have to save about $1500.
I wish sometimes that I had been born rich, I have always taken for granted that money wouldn't be a problem for me. I have the intelligence, and the attitude necessary to ensure that I will never have to worry about going hungry or homeless. That's not like being rich though. I know the old saying about money not bringing happiness, but it's tempting sometimes to imagine how things would be different...

I'd be able to send somebody else to get my passport for me.
I could support myself in Asia for as long as necessary until I got a job. So I could leave right away.
I'd keep the apartment in Canada, and use it to store all my stuff while I was gone.
I wouldn't have to be concerned that I might not have the money in time, and that another important opportunity in my life would be missed.
It's the last that truly bugs me today. I've missed opportunities in the past, and I don't want this to be one of them...